On January 25, 2013, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) published the HIPAA Omnibus Final Rule. The Final Rule represents a material development in the area of health care privacy and has important operational consequences for covered entities and business associates. Major changes include the following:
- Final Rule Requires Changes in Breach Notice Policies; Likely to Increase Breach Reporting.
- Significant Impact on Business Associates; Business Associate Agreements Need to Be Revised.
- Security Rule Changes Will Impact Forms, Policies, and Procedures.
- Numerous Privacy Rule Changes Will Impact Operations, Forms, Policies, and Procedures.
- Enhanced Enforcement
- Six months Compliance Deadline for Implementing Most Changes.
Total Course Duration: 1 hour
Number of Total Slides: 61 slides
Course valid for 2 months from receiving the login details.
Certificate valid for: Years
Type of License: One user license cannot be transferred after login is assigned.
HIPAA Omnibus Rule Training includes:
- Omnibus Rule Background
- Breach Notification Rule
- Risk of Harm
- Risk Assessment
- The Burden of Proof
- New Limits on Uses and Disclosures of PHI
- Fundraising Activities
- Research Activities
- Student Immunization Records
- Sale of PHI
- Genetic Information
- Business Associates
- Business Associate: definition
- Rules for the BA’s
- The BA Contract
- Contracting Arrangements
- Increased Patient Rights
- Electronic Copy of PHI
- Out-of-Pocket Payments
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Content Requirements
- Notice Distribution
- Increased Enforcement
- Focus on Willful Neglect
- Other Enforcement Changes
- Update Action Considerations
Certificate for Continuing Education Credits:
Students can buy a CE credits certificate for this course at the time of registration. You will receive 1 CE credit for this course through the Approved Provider of California Board of Registered Nursing after completing the course.